February 25, 2010

Parenting tips

Collin is doing great in therapy, I see a whole new kid.  He talks more which is a big plus to have him do.  Also I am very excited to say Collin's behavior is getting better and better.  Before therapy he would run from me, kick, hit, bite me, and pull on my hair.  I felt like I could not take him anywhere with me for fear he would throw a temper tantrum. For the most part those days are in the past. Collyn his therapist has showed me how to help Collin before hand so we don't end up with a fight in the end.  I see in my future with some enjoyable days to come. :)

I thought I would share my tips from what I have learned.

1. Motivation can help kids to do things.
Example- time to get dressed but your child does not want too.
Find something that motivates your child  (cars, computer, color)
then say first do this ( get dressed) then you can (color, play computer).
I like to use this one all the time especially when Collin does not want to listen. He sees Mcqueen and will do what every I say to get it.

2. Count downs helpkids need warning to know when things are going to change or end.  I tell Collin five more minutes until we turn off the computer, leave the house, get out of the bath ect...... you get the idea.  Then when there is just one minute left I tell him its almost time to do something new.  He knows its time to get ready for the change.  By that time Collin sometimes as already moved on to the next thing I love that.

3. No means No, what to do when your child is throwing a tantrum all because of one little word.  Ignore the inappropriate behavior.  Which is hard to do when they make a big seen out of nothing.  Your knee jerk reaction is to stop the tantrum. But, if you give attention to the bad behavior it will only increase it.  Kids want you to look at them and when you don't they stop because it is getting them no where.  I am still working on this one.  Collin has been known to cry up to an hour before he stops. Some days I want to just give in, luckily I have Collin's therapist coaching me on to hang in there.

What other tips do you have on getting kids to listen and behave?   I will take all the help I can get.
Photobucket

1 comment:

Rochelle said...

Awesome! Thanks for the reminders! We are starting a parenting class called "Love and Logic" I can't wait. I googled it and there's something for every kid...